December 2, 2015
Things to Remember If You DIY a Deck, Patio or Pergola
If you have hopped on the DIY train and decide that you want to build your own outdoor extension yourself, here are some important things to keep in mind.
- You will need to master many crafts. So much detail goes into building a deck, patio or pergola and many of these details involve technologies and procedures that require skilled execution. From planning to design to preparation to building and finishing — building an outdoor extension will force you to learn and master many skills.
- You need to discern quality work from poor work. It’s one thing to be able to construct a deck. But it’s an entirely different matter to be able to construct one well. You must be able to understand what makes for a desirable outcome so you can tell if what you or your contracted labour builds is at par.
- You need to devote time — loads of it — to planning. You want to be able to visualise the finished product. But more importantly, you need to have a clear picture of how to get the results you envision. As Stephen Covey pointed out in his classic “Seven Habits of Highly Effective Persons,” you need to be able to “begin with the end in mind.” Then with the end in mind, you need to break down the big picture into smaller, more achievable chunks. Then you need to weigh all your options for each little chunk of work and come up with a plan to make it happen.
- Keep on top of your budget and expenses. Make sure you can reasonably anticipate your upcoming expenses and accurately track what you actually do spend. It is important that you stay within budget so you do not run out of funds in the middle of your project.
- You must have the ability to schedule work and finances properly and efficiently. Once you have the design, the skills and the finances to make your decking, patio or pergola project happen, everything else is a matter of scheduling the work that needs to be put in and the money that needs to be spent.
You have the know-how and the time management skills, so now you can save money by building your deck, patio or pergola yourself. Softwoods are able to help you with most of these planning concerns and will provide you with guidance through your build if needed as well
Get a FREE Quote for Your Pergola or Deck
Our online quoting tool lets you specify the measurements and other details about your planned pergola or deck. It then automatically generates an estimate for you.
Softwoods is a family owned South Australian company that has been trading for over 30 years.
We understand that making changes to your home is a major and important thing, and we take care to understand that every project that we handle should be done with as much care as we would expect is used in our own homes. Learn more about Softwoods.