Take your outdoor parties to the next level by building a bar on your deck. There are several advantages to having an outdoor bar.
- You can easily dispense beverages of all kinds and varieties — alcoholic, non-alcoholic and everything else in between. The bar is a convenient storage facility for what you need to quench your or guests’ thirst.
- More than a beverage dispensary, the bar often acts as an entertainment station. It’s mere existence already signals the guests that something wonderful is about to happen.
- When you or your friends are suffering from stress — the appropriate stress-busting cocktail is right within your reach.
- You’re going to be the talk of the neighborhood. Everyone will sing songs about you, your awesome deck parties and that amazing bar on your deck. Everyone will want to hang out with you!
So what do you need to consider in order to build the perfect bar for your deck? Here are some tips.
Consider the Space
Regardless of its type, a bar will take up space, sometimes loads of it. So you need to assess how much of it you can give up for the bar you plan to build. If your deck is the size of a postage stamp then you obviously need to settle for a bar cart on wheels — something you can roll from and back into the house as necessary.
On the other hand, if your deck can accommodate the entire neighborhood then you have enough room for all the frills and features of an awesome outdoor bar.
Consider the Position
The bar’s position within the deck area is entirely up to you, of course, but there are a few things you need to consider. The bar needs access to running water so plumbing has to be available. If you want to station a fridge or need to use other electrical appliances such as blenders then you need access to an electric outlet. If you have deck lighting, consider placing the bar where the lights are so you have adequate illumination while you mix those cocktails.
What matters to you and your guests is that the outdoor bar be able to dispense all sorts of delightful beverages when and how they want. A few items will make this easier for you (or for the designated bartender).
- To wash glassware, fruits and utensils nothing beats having a stainless steel sink.
- Think about building or installing a beverage storage bin for your alcohol.
- If you don’t fancy having to lug glassware to and from the house each time you entertain on your deck then think about installing storage for these as well.
- A refrigerator, wine chiller or cooler is virtually a must-have.